Thursday, September 23, 2010

Get Away, WooHoo!

Beaver Creek Mountain from the Village
I like where I live, but Beaver Creek holds some special fascination for me.  My husband was given an opportunity to play golf on a course that he has wanted to play for some time now, Luc the youngest son had no school, and Emma was with grandparents, so into the car we went.

We hit peak Aspen changing color season, WOW!  The drive over was so beautiful, the gold of the leaves was bright. We stayed up on the mountain at THE PINES LODGE, it was beautiful, great hot tub with water cascading down rocks behind it.  Fabulous place, I highly recommend it.

As we awoke Wednesday morning, the forecast had changed, it was raining and would continue for most of the day.  Luc at fourteen, mountain biking in the rain, just meant more adventure, and mud.  So off he went with a guide to find the best places.  Now my husband on the other hand was not thrilled to be playing a course he had been anticipating for weeks, with a steady rain fall.  He and a friend did eventually play nine holes, he enjoyed the company, but was frustrated with the weather.  I think the weather was especially maddening because it was the first rain and cloudy day in weeks, and the forecast hadn't even hinted at it.

As for me, I was going to go hiking a trail that is well traveled, by myself, absolute heaven.  I decided with the rain, I'd work out at the Lodge, then head up the mountain for a cup of tea, and people watch from a favorite gelato shop.  I eventually took off walking/hiking up the mountain, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to enjoy the beauty around me.  I'm so glad I did. Yes it was raining, but to get out and be one with nature was worth getting wet for.


On the trail, while raining on me!
I may not have done the trail I had hoped for, but the blessing of the location and opportunity was not something that was lost on me.  I'm fortunate to live in Colorado and enjoy the landscape around me.  One day of getting away never seems enough, but sometimes one day is.  May you be blessed with a get away!

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos...sounds like it was a nice getaway despite the weather.

    Best wishes for a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that place sounds heavenly! I love to hike, but only seem to get as far as our local State Forest just out of our town here in Indiana. oh how I hope to visit beautiful Colorado someday. You are very blessed to have such wonderful scenery with the mountains and all.

    Thank you so much for your so very sweet comment on my blog post today. It really blessed my heart that you would get so excited about buying this Beth Moore book. It is so good. Very deep and sometimes difficult to be truthful with yourself as you read what it says about the lies you've believed, but sooooo encouraging too.

    Hope you are having as beautiful of a day as we are here. In it is the mid 70's and sunshiny with a little breeze. Just BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete