Friday, February 11, 2011

True Friend

I was new in town, didn't know many girls my age.  My mom made me get a job, so that I would have money for school clothes.  I didn't know it at the time, but how wise of my mom to make me apply for a job.  I gained experience of interviewing, and learned that you don't always get to do what you want, because of your commitment to your job.  I also learned a work ethic.  These are things that I see many young people today lack.  Parents so badly want to give to their children, that in turn they are robbing them of important skills and traits that are essential in the work place today, regardless of what field you find yourself in.

So thirty plus years ago, through that teenage job, I met a friend that epitomizes the word.  She was the one that I speed through town with, late to my own high school graduation.  We discussed and poured over relationships with the boys that broke our hearts.  It was because of a visit over Christmas break with her, that I began my relationship with my husband.  That was the beginning of my 20 plus years of marriage that is still going strong.

There was much discussion over what to wear for our numerous class reunions.  We gave each other Baby Showers.  We would call each other for advice on etiquette correctness.  If I'm having a party at such and such time, do I have to serve a meal, or is finger food okay?  She was the only friend that would know the right answer.  When I "spotted during my pregnancy of my last child, I didn't even have to ask, she came and sat with me.  We leaned on each other during divorces that neither one of us thought would be part of our lives.  She watched my children when my husband and I went to the Mayo clinic during a scary time of my health.

As we age, but showing no signs of gray, we are learning to navigate the landscape of parents being ill, and losing a parent.  Who would ever have thought, that the girl I trained on the drink station at a fast food place, would become someone that is such an integral part of my life.  I'm so glad my mom made me get a summer job.  I can't imagine my life without such a great friend.

Birthday Blessings Sarah Elizabeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment